How to Choose the Right Gooseneck Lighting
Before you start looking at gooseneck light fixtures to buy, it's important to determine how many you need. The general rule of thumb is one fixture for every 3 to 4 feet of sign width (tall signs may also require fixtures above and below for proper illumination). Once you know how many fixtures you will need, follow our step-by-step guide that will help you choose the best fixture for your space.
Step 1: Choose a Shade
The most important thing when buying gooseneck lighting is to fully know and understand the space and building in which you are planning to place them. Be sure to measure thoroughly or hire a licensed contractor to do so.
There are various styles of gooseneck shades available at SignBracketStore.com for purchase. Shade choice is mainly for desired design effect, but a few are ideal for particular uses. Read more:
- Best for lighting outdoor signs and awnings
- Casts directional, focused light on large areas
- Modern style
- Best for lighting outdoor signs
- Curved style for classic decor
- Casts a broad directional light
- Best for large or heavily trafficked outdoor areas
- Like the Warehouse style, cast guards and vapor jars are recommended
- Antique/Farmhouse style
- Best for lighting signs and menu boards
- Casts very focused, directional light
- Compact for smaller spaces and signs
- Sleek, modern, minimalistic style
- Best for monument signs, storefronts, commercial exteriors, sidewalks and entrances
- Provides broad, ample downlighting
- Recommended: Cast guards & vapor jars to protect bulbs from breaking and diffuse light
- Modern industrial style
Step 2: Choose a Mounting Source
Different gooseneck arm options offer different solutions for your space. Find decorative and unique arm extensions for parapet lighting, illuminating awnings, low clearance and more - all available online. In just 2-3 weeks, your made in USA lighting is finished in your choice of 25+ finish options, and shipped directly to your door.
Step 3: Choose the Finish
Now comes the fun part - how to customize your gooseneck light fixtures to fit your space and design desires. We offer a multitude of powder coat finishes that protect the fixture from weathering, and add to aesthetics. In addition to powder coated paint colors we offer upgraded metals like bronze, copper, and aged copper (copper patina) to give your establishment an upscale and distinctive look.
- Pivots to direct light where you need it
Cast Guards & Vapor Jars:
- Hides lighting component
- Protects light source from harm
- Protects bulbs from impact damage
- Ideal for workshops, manufacturing or retail stores
- Adjust light to any activity
- Automatically activate lights on at dusk and off at dawn
Need an accessory that wasn't mentioned? Simply give us a call toll-free or Email Us»
to request a no-obligation quote for exactly what your project needs.
Step 5: Choose the Lamping
Lighting does more than illuminate features and spaces - it affects people's moods. Consider color temperature when making your decision lamping based on the mood you want to set or the visceral reaction you want to evoke from people who see it. Bright whites (4000K) are non-threatening and inviting. People associate the warm orange or yellow hues of the soft white (3000K) with romance and exclusivity.
Types of Bulbs
Be sure to find out the require light bulb wattage based on the size of your shade. Smaller shades usually allow lower wattages, where larger shades can accept up to 200W bulbs. Our gooseneck lights uses incandescent bulbs as the standard lamping option, but can be upgraded to fit compact fluorescent, LED, or HID bulbs.
Standard Medium E-26 Base
- Accepts INC, and any other bulb type with a compatible base. All of our gooseneck light fixtures come standard like this unless otherwise requested/noted
- No driver required
Compact Fluorescent Lighting GU-24 Base
- Accepts 2-Pin CFL bulbs and complies with California Energy Commission regulations for high-efficiency lighting on all residential remodels and new construction. Keep in mind a 23W CFL = 100W INC
- Includes required driver
- A drop-in LED system with excessive options on lumen output, color temperature, and wiring (120v/277) giving you full control of exactly what your gooseneck lights will project
High Intensity Discharge (HID) Lighting
- Metal Halide (MH) - Projects a brighter, whiter light
- High Pressure Sodium (HPS) - Projects a warmer yellower light
Need more help to make the right decision? We can also create custom fixtures to fit your space.
Call us today at: 1-888-919-7446.